Sheet Metal Stamping 101
Most people in manufacturing are somewhat familiar with sheet metal stamping. But how does it really work? This article will give you a good overview of sheet metal stamping:
- What is sheet metal stamping?
- How does the sheet metal stamping process work?
- How much does sheet metal stamping cost?
- What are some of the benefits of sheet metal stamping?
- How do I find a good sheet metal stamping contractor?
If you have a more specific question that’s not addressed in this guide, you’re more than welcome to reach out to us for answers.
What Is Sheet Metal Stamping?
Also called “pressing” in some circles, sheet metal stamping is a process that uses between 10 and 350 tons of force to alter the shape of a flat piece of sheet metal. It’s a common process to make items like automobile body parts and appliance panels. It can also be used to make much smaller items. While the sheet metal stamping process is mainly used with sheet metal, it can also be used with metal wires and other forms of metal.
Not only does the sheet metal stamping process alter the shape of a piece of sheet metal, but it can also puncture holes into the metal if necessary.
Sheet metal stamping creates precise results like this part.
How Does Sheet Metal Stamping Work?
The sheet metal stamping process involves a machine that has a preset mold. In one fluid motion, the machine uses a lot of force to bend sheet metal to fit the mold. There’s no heat involved. Because sheet metal isn’t very malleable, a lot of force is needed in order to bend it. Sheet metal stamping machines are large, sturdy machines that can exert a tremendous amount of force. Some can apply up to 350 tons of force to a sheet of metal. A typical sheet metal stamping machine can do the following:
- Flatten metal to either smooth it out to make it thinner
- Flatten rounded metal (like wires)
- Puncture metal
- Press the metal into a new shape
The machine works with computer-aided design software and analytical programs to create precise results each and every time.
How Much Does Sheet Metal Stamping Cost?
Sheet metal stamping is affordable, but how affordable? It depends on a variety of factors like:
- The type of metal used
- Metal grade
- Corrosion considerations
- Quality control procedures
This article has more information on all of the factors that go into sheet metal stamping costs. When looking for a sheet metal stamping contractor, find one that will work with you, meet your needs, and provide high-quality work all the while keeping costs as low as possible.
What Are The Benefits Of Sheet Metal Stamping?
Sheet metal stamping combines several processes into one step, which greatly speeds up the manufacturing process. For example:
- Sheet metal stamping is a cold forming process, so there’s no need to wait for the stamped metal to cool off.
- One stamping operation can put multiple holes into a piece of metal. If using another metal forming process, the holes would have to be cut or drilled in a secondary operation.
- One stamping operation can create multiple complex bends.
How Do I Find A Good Sheet Metal Stamping Contractor?
Looking for a good sheet metal stamping contractor takes some diligent work. Here’s a good resource to start with: 5 Important Factors to Consider When Evaluating Contract Manufacturing Bids
If you’re looking for a quality and reliable sheet metal stamping contractor in Mexico, look no further than Intran. We’re one of the best sheet metal stamping contractors in Mexico. We have state-of-the-art high precision sheet metal stamping machines. You can find more information on our sheet metal stamping services here.